« Home | When is do it yourself enough? » | Special Christmas » | Nope, The flywheel didn't » | The flywheel has won » | Gayla's Place: Blogger Trackback Party Test » | Take a tape measure! » | Wedding tips » | To call the plumber...or not » 

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 

Circuit Alert!

I just purchased a non contact voltage probe which for those of you who do not know is a test light for checking AC voltage. As a consumer I do the best I can to purchase things that are made in the USA. As you are probably aware that in its self is a take. Anyway this one was a little more (about $2.00) but it had the batteries enclosed. If purchased separate the batteries were 3.55 ea and this little probe took two. It also had Milwaukee, WI printed on it.

So upon getting back to my house and putting the batteries in the little tester, I proceeded up to my attic door with my flashlight. (the light upstairs stopped working so I was going to replace the receptacle. I bought the test light because I just wasn't sure which breaker shut down the power up there.) OK, I am in the dark in the cold attic with a flashlight NOTHING..No light, no chirp, nothing. Convinced I must just be doing something wrong I go back down the stairs and find the package and re-read the instructions. Check, check, and double check.....Then in fine print underneath the 3 sets of different languages it says "If indicators do not work, replace batteries before use!" WHAT?...the batteries were included. One would assume that they would be good batteries. Then I saw the other fine print "MADE IN CHINA". Furious and seeing RED, not the indicator light mind you but a little bit of temper! I paid $2 extra dollars to get the one that had batteries included in order to save about $5 only to realize that I have to buy new batteries anyway and spend the gas money to go back to the store, plus my project for the evening was shot! It really got me thinking, why did it have the "if indicator does not work statement on the package" Is it a coincidence or a marketing scheme? If 100 probes were sold $2.00 above the competitor and had bad batteries in it, they are making $200.00 more and then a person still has to buy the new batteries for $7.10. What a way to boost a profit. I am taking mine back and going with a different brand.

Free Business Cards.

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

About me

  • I'm Kim
  • From Central Indiana, United States
My profile

Syndicate this site (XML)

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates